Star News - Connecting Our Communities

News Sickle Arrow NSA Black Earth Cross Plains

Turning back the clock

 

September 20, 2018

Photo contributed

Taken in 1880, this photo shows a group of patrons standing in the entrance of A. Becker's Saloon on Water Street in Sauk City. Alois and Margaretha Becker built the two-story brick building but didn't purchase the land that the saloon sat on until 1872. Alois Becker died in 1875 and the saloon was passed on to his son Albert who ran it with the help of his brother and mother. According to the book, "Lives Lived Here: A Walk Through the History of Sauk City" compiled by Myrtle Wilhelm Cushing and written by Michael J. Goc, "Inside the saloon, Becker kept a live crow and a badger in a cage, but not together. The crow squawked, the badger hissed and neither smelled very sweetly, but they kept customers amused." The second floor of the building had been used for many things including a meeting hall, living quarters and offices that housed, the "Pioneer am Wisconsin" newspaper (1886), William Lohmar's cigar factory (1884), Doctor C.P. Riley (1886), Doctor J.W. Buhler (1887) and dentist, John G. Mawney. It was used as family living quarters in the 1890's and later, usually by the people running the downstairs saloon. The building was used as a saloon for almost a century, expect during prohibition and it was demolished in 1966. Wisconsin Historical Society, WHI IMAGE ID - 39292. By Kara O'Keeffe



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.














 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 10/13/2018 00:35